Pages

Monday, July 18, 2011

Pardon my Hiatus.

It amazes me how I can swing from nothing to do to uberbusy. (side note: did you know that "uber" is a prefix, and thus can be stuck on the front of a word to denote a supreme or outstanding example of something? No hyphen or dash necessary.)

I spent the last 9 days or so on vacation to Chincoteague Island, off the coast of Virginia. Spent some good quality time with my sister and her family, and got some good tan on my poor white self. This is the most sun I've gotten in the last...oh, you know...2 years. Needless to say, the sun doesn't shine too much in my fair city of Chengdu.

A few quick thoughts from the mind of Catie, before the Koffee Klutch closes. (another side note: I really hate businesses who spell things wrong on purpose. It's just tacky. But they have free internet and $1.38 bottomless cup of coffee, so I don't complain too much. Plus the owner calls me 'hun' and I have a 'usual' order.)

The Lord has been teaching me a lot lately about not judging people. I found myself making all kinds of assumptions and judgments of people when I got home, all because I viewed their lives as simple and sheltered compared to my own. Thank Goodness for the Holy Spirit and his conviction--He smacked me in the face with my own stupid assumptions and helped open my eyes to see that while the struggles people have here in small-town America are different from my own, they are no less difficult. Reminds me of the song by Brandon Heath "Give Me Your Eyes".

I saw Transformers: Dark of the Moon last week, and Cars: 2 this week. Both were really good! Transformers 3 definitely outdid #2--the plot improved and the new Megan Fox is WAY better. She manages to run in heals and keep her white clothes clean the whole movie, but at least she's fully clothed. Cars: 2 had me laughing out loud so much, I'm pretty sure I began to annoy the people around me. I think I found some of the humor related to being in Tokyo funnier because the culture shock of going to Asia is relevant for me.

I gave my first English name to a sweet girl named Chen Li Ping at the Bamboo House on Saturday. I named her "Lily". I was so excited to be in a Chinese restaurant with Chinese people, so I asked her where she was from. I was surprised to discover that she had VERY little English, so I had to bust out my Chinese. I got her QQ #, which means I'm going to have to learn to navigate QQ (a Chinese IM/social networking site) when I get back to China.

I leave you with one of my favorite things about summer: sunsets. 

2 comments:

  1. In Costa Rica the missionary gave us a little reminder for going home.. it goes something like this...
    you grew up in the US and all the people you know and you yourself wear yellow glasses. You left the US and travelled elsewhere where all the people wear blue glasses. You also now where blue glasses on top of the yellow. So now you see in green, but you go home where everyone else wears yellow.. not green. So that can't understand your point of view. and it's lonely seeing green in a yellow place.
    She nailed it. it all made sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. umm. so should have proof read that one!

    ReplyDelete